Friday 9 May 2008

The girls surfed spain too!!

Just thought I would add the girly perspective on Spain! As usual I arrived far too excited for my own good and was only slightly envious of those who had spent Friday getting great waves. Saturday was a fantastic day, warm and sunny it was like being on holiday. A brief surf in the morning set me up for the day, the inside wave was really sweet and I had some great rides which left me feeling very positive for the event. I was a little dissapointed there were not enough women to make an IC event as I love IC paddling its really fun, come on girls! I entered the mens IC which gave me a ring side seat for Jonny's performance in my heat, he was flying! I really enjoyed the Womens heat and found a great spot to surf. Robyn also had some excellent, waves, she is a great competitor,so I was feeling really pleased for us both. The results which were finally posted, it took a while for them to match bib colours to names, saw me reach the final in first place . I was gutted Robyn did not make it through and do think she deserve to. This left me with 3 Basque girls to beat.

The Sunday at Bakio was not quite so nice, I do in a strange kind of way enjoy getting nailed in beach dump, I have had a lot of practice, however in competition it is not ideal! The final was really competative but I achieved some nice waves all things considered. I was really pleased I won the event and also want to say congratulations to eveyone else men and juniors who got some great results for the flying squad. I watched a lot of the competition both days and saw some outstanding surfing from loads of people it is amazing to be part of it.